Most companies in Winnipeg have fire extinguishers, and we find that many people have questions regarding fire extinguishers such as:
Q. What is the clearance required in front of fire extinguishers?
A. The NFPA does not have a specified area that must remain clear in front of fire extinguishers. NFPA 10 Standard for Portable fire extinguishers states that, “fire extinguishers shall be readily accessible and immediately available in the event of fire.” Also that “Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed or obscured from view.”
Q. What should happen during a fire extinguisher inspection?
A. Several procedures are followed while performing the fire extinguisher inspection.
1. The seal around the pin is broken and resealed. the fire extinguisher tag inspection is updated with the right information relevant to the current inspection. Last of all the extinguisher will be cleared off any corrosive chemicals, oil, gunk etc. that may have deposited on the extinguisher.
2. We capture relevant information such as serial number, location, type, year, last recharge, and model. We then create a report for your next fire inspection so you are informed of the services that are next required.
3. Fire extinguishers are pressure tested (a process called hydrostatic testing) after a number of years to ensure that the cylinder is safe to use. Consult SI Alarms Ltd. to see when yours may need such testing.
4. The pressure is measured to be at the recommended level. On extinguishers equipped with a gauge, the needle should be in the green zone – not too low and not too high.
5. We ensure there are no dents, leaks, rust, chemical deposits or other signs of wear.
SI Alarms Ltd. recommends shaking your dry chemical extinguishers once a month to prevent the powder from packing. If the extinguisher is damaged or needs recharging, replace it immediately!
Remember, Fire extinguishers should be maintained each year. Annual maintenance is intended to give you maximum assurance that your extinguishers will operate effectively and safely. By thorough examination we can identify any necessary repairs, recharging or replacement.Share